Welcome to the Studio!
In addition to her work on-stage as an artist, Gretchen also has a busy life behind the scenes teaching vocal technique,teaching cabaret classes and private coaching for cabaret artists, and directing cabarets.
As a voice teacher…
Gretchen teaches vocal technique to singers of all levels. As a singer performing regularly in New York, having juggled an artistic career with those pesky pay-the-rent gigs, she understands firsthand the challenges singers face every day. Her life experience combined with her proven technique, allow her to create lessons uniquely tailored to the individual needs of each student. Among the many things you'll learn with Gretchen, are:
- learning to sing at the speaking level
- developing "one voice" (helping to eliminate breaks)
- creating your own "Technique Tool Kit" which can be applied to any song
Above all else, you'll have fun and enjoy learning at your own pace in a safe and nurturing environment.
As a director and cabaret teacher…
Award winning director, Gretchen Reinhagen, focuses on helping artists craft a well-rounded show that honors their voice and their vision. Gretchen often quotes her mentor, award winning director and writer Barry Kleinbort, in saying that “another artist could do the exact same set list, in the exact same order and it wouldn’t be your show. No one should be able to do your show, but you.” Gretchen will work hard to help you create YOUR show – tailored specifically to YOU!
- Collaborates with musical directors on creating arrangements that serve both the singer and the show
- Works with artists to dig into lyrics and interpretations
- Helps artists create a set list and running order that fully supports their story
- Collaborates with artists on developing patter that flows well and furthers the story
- Liaise with technical director at venue, create tech sheet and manage tech rehearsal
In Gretchen’s cabaret class, you’ll get this same personal attention as she works with you on song interpretation, arrangement suggestions, performance skills, including vocal delivery, as well as an opportunity to learn while watching other singers work. She offers a weekly drop-in class that students can attend at any time and to work on material for specific shows, or just to keep singing and fine tuning. Check with Gretchen for day/time/location/availability.
Payments and Policies
- All private teaching and directing: $75/hour; $40 for a half hour (so $115 for a 90 minutes)
- Show Fees: 1st show is $150; additional shows $60
- Cabaret drop-in class: $40
- Studio rent is NOT included in lesson/rehearsal fee. Studios range from $17-$25 (with a few exceptions) and include the following Midtown Manhattan Locations:
- Studios 353, 353 West 48th Street, 2nd Floor
- Studios 150, 150 West 46th Street, 6th Floor
- Michiko Rehearsal Studios, 149 West 46th Street
- 244 Rehearsal Studios, 244 West 54th Street, 10th Floor
- Shetler Studios, 244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor and Penthouse
- 48 hour notice is required for all cancellations. No exceptions. But – you may swap a slot with another client via the google group.
- No family, friends or other guests in lessons, classes, rehearsals. Surprise them at your show!
- Phones should be on airplane mode or silenced. Airplane mode also allows you to record your lesson or rehearsal uninterrupted.
- Payment Methods: cash, check, credit card, Venmo, Chase Quick Pay
Testimonials and Reviews
"This uplifting show is masterfully directed by Gretchen Reinhagen, who seemingly knows the heart of this woman so well she has crafted the act to showcase [Donna] Hayes at her very best"
Billie Roe, BroadwayWorld
"Gretchen Reinhagen has studied voice with me for the past 10 years, the technique of the former renowned voice teacher Keith Davis. During that time, Gretchen has performed numerous one woman shows and appeared in many productions. Her reviews speak for themselves. She is not only a knowledgeable and talented singer, but has had several years’ experience as a teacher. I believe she knows how to communicate exactly what the student needs to hear, at the right time, and in the right way to get the most positive result, and in the easiest and most expedient way. I highly recommend her as a superb teacher of voice.”
Judith Farris, Vocal Consultant, New York , NY
Artist in Residence, Theatre/Dance Dept., Southeast Missouri State University
“Gretchen Reinhagen is an excellent voice teacher, who will get you to the next level vocally, and musically. She has an easy-going personality, with a lot of knowledge about voice technique, music and performance. She gives great feedback and instruction, without intimidation.”
Tracy Stark, Colleague and Musical Director
“If you are looking for someone that is honest, positive and knows the voice, Gretchen's Voice Studio is the place for you. This is a working performer, but also a great teacher. She knows what she is doing and she knows how to talk to you so you understand her. She is easy to work with, and by that I do not mean that she does not push you, she does.”
Bob Diamond, Voice Student & Directing Client
"Gretchen brings the singer's true voice to life. She helped me gain new strengths and overcome repetitive problems by encouragement and communication through the use of imagery and sheer experience!!! She's a great teacher!”
Deborah Bowman, Voice Student
"Gretchen provides a comforting and safe atmosphere allowing you to feel free to let go and experience using proper tools and techniques to get positive results. She strives to help you go beyond your comfort zone and find those areas needing improvement to allow you to be your best but with ease. On my first visit, she immediately had me doing a fun exercise that had me singing through my tough spot without me even knowing it. Gretchen has an amazing ear and didn't let me go beyond the slightest off pitch without correcting it and had me start over with any trouble spot to fine tune. She strives to help you go beyond and do the best you can do. That's what I wanted and I have not been disappointed.”
Mary Lahti, Voice Student
“I could not have done this [show] without the talent, support, and love of my brilliant Directors, Gretchen Reinhagen and Justin Stoney. Thank you both for taking such good care of me.”
Donna Hayes, Directing Client
“Cabaret award winner Gretchen Reinhagen is [Bob] Diamond’s director and every single moment in Diamond’s show, including lighting and stage movement, was brilliant. Sidney Myer advised me afterwards that he saw Diamond’s progress in the performance workshop that Reinhagen teaches and that, under her guidance and with her suggestions, Diamond blossomed.”
Joe Regan, Jr., Times Square Chronicles
“The show was well constructed showing the many capabilities of her Director, the multiple award winner, Gretchen Reinhagen.”
Edie Stokes, Times Square Chronicles